Monday, January 31, 2011

Nutella Ice cream

When my loving and ridiculously well suited for me foodie boyfriend bought me an ice cream maker for my birthday I knew one the many flavors I was going to have to try right away!  After spending a good 4-5 hours reading tons of blogs, recipes and techniques on making the perfect ice cream, sorbet, sherbet or any sort of frozen dessert I pretty much have the gist of it.  So now I've gone flavor crazy.

One of my favorite things in the world is Nutella.  I discovered it by making little chocolate "raviolis" inspired from Italian cooking goddess Giada de Laurentiis.  It's been one of my favorite things ever since.  Nutella is a hazelnut chocolate spread.  Anyone who knows me knows I'm not a huge chocolate lover but this stuff is just amazing!  You can't not like it.  And a nutella ice cream just sounded like a dream come true for me.

Ingredients:

2 cups whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup of nutella
2/3 cup of sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
2 tbsp dark rum (oops I may have put more)
Chopped up hazelnuts or hazelnut cookie pieces.  I used Piroulines, those yummy stick shaped hazelnut cookies (optional)

Ice cream is really easy to make by the way.  All you do is combine all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl or blender until smooth.  Some ice creams it's better to heat the milk if you are infusing the flavor but this one is fine.  I used a hand held mixer and a large bowl, blending till the nutella was fully incorporated.  Then I turned on my ice cream maker and let it go for about 10 minutes, while it was still turning in the last 10 minutes I added the pieces of Piroulines.  After the ice cream has taken on a frozen like state (as in the image to the right) I put it into some tuber ware in the freezer where I let it completely freeze (usually 3-4 hours if you can wait that long).

I served it alongside some leftover coconut ice cream I made but it's definitely a hit on it's own.  And of course I had to top it with a full pirouline cookie ;)

Enjoy this delicious ice cream treat!  More ice cream to come!

Keep ordering,

B

No comments:

Post a Comment