Saturday, January 29, 2011

Re-creation

When I'm feeling overwhelmed by the world, one way I like to reconnect, think and reboot is by creating a good comforting meal.  Tonight was one of those nights.
Okay so you'll be probably figure this out early on about me as I post more recipes but my go-to comfort food is anything tomato... I love tomato sauce, salsa, roasted tomatoes, even ketchup can add a little something to my day.


Tonight I decided to try a new creation which happened to be a re-creation of sorts.   There is a locally owned joint that I love to go to with friends and they have this amazing shiitake chicken dish with a tomato cream goat cheese sauce.  YUM.  My favorite part is the goat cheese (cheese being another favorite of mine).  I love it's creamy texture and sweet yet savory taste... mmm mmm good.  So for tonight's dish I scratched the shiitake part as I wasn't feeling like dealing with mushrooms, added some sauteed spinach and wallah!  Here's what you do if this dish has you asking for more.


You'll need 3 pots/pans.  One pot to boil your potatoes, one saute pan for your chicken and a third pan for your spinach.  I tend to not measure (and often just cook for myself) but I'll do my best and you can increase as needed.  There are no big mistakes you can make so no stress!


You'll need the following ingredients:
- 1 chicken breast per person
- 1 can of diced tomatoes ( good for up to 2 breasts)
- bagged fresh spinach
- fresh goat cheese
- garlic (fresh is always better)
- 1 yellow onion
- fresh rosemary
- salt
- pepper
- red skinned potatoes (little creamer guys)
- sour cream
- olive oil for pan cooking


Okay so first the potatoes will take a while to cook so I put about 6 small red skinned potatoes (probably enough for 2 hungry people) into boiling salted water.  Let those cook till tender.  Then I took my chicken breast in a plastic bag and pounded it a little with my fist or a can (great anger outlet).  Next I seasoned the chicken with salt and pepper both sides.


Next for cooking the chicken I decided to pan fry it in order to give a nice golden brown.  I've recently relearned my love for oil olive after kicking it out of my life for so long.  It's still a bit scary to me but I know how much more enjoyable it makes my food so I went for it in this recipe.  In a pan over med-high heat I added probably 2 tbsp of oil olive, enough to coat the pan where I am going to plan the chicken.  Then once the oil is hot I added the chicken, browning on both sides.  Once brown I removed the chicken to start working on my easy tomato cream sauce.  To the hot pan I added about a tbsp of minced garlic, half a yellow onion, seasoned them with salt and pepper and cooked till brown.  Then I added the can of tomatoes letting them heat all the way through till almost boiling and turning the pan back down to a simmer.  At this point I added back in the chicken and some freshly chopped rosemary (chopped fine).  I covered the pan and let that go for about 10 minutes.


On to the next pan where I sauteed some spinach.  This is such an easy and delicious way to eat spinach.  To a hot pan I add a little olive oil, garlic, spinach, salt, pepper, a little onion powder if you have it and once the garlic is brown I add just a tad of water to the pan in order to wilt and cook the spinach through.


Back to the potatoes which should be tender in about 10-15 minutes.  After draining them I add again minced garlic, salt, pepper, a little finely chopped rosemary or chives if you wish and enough sour cream to cream the potatoes.  Bring them to whatever texture you'd like.  I go for more of the smashed approach and use a whisk instead of a tater masher .
At this point your chicken should be down and ready for the star of the show: the goat cheese!  I make a bed of mash potatoes on my plate, top with the sauteed spinach and place the chicken a top.  To finish the sauce I add about 1-1.5 inch cube of goat cheese since this is just for myself (adjust as you wish) and allow it to melt and marry with the tomato sauce for a minute or two.  Then I spoon the sauce over the top of the chicken, potatoes and crumble some extra goat cheese over the whole thing... oh. yeah. baby.


Keep ordering, 


B


No comments:

Post a Comment